Summer is a time for stone fruit everything, evening dips in the pool, longer days, and BBQs! BBQs are actually one of our favorite ways to eat simply + healthy without all the clean up ;) So let's dive into how to create the perfect summer BBQ for mom, dad, guests and kiddos!
1. Create a 'Build Your Own Burger Bowl Bar'.
• Instead of making burgers for people let them have fun picking out there own toppings. This way your guests can be creative with their choices, and they usually end up eating more veggies.
• Ditch the processed carbohydrates and give the option of toasted truly whole grain sourdough + sprouted buns or offer bowls so guest can make a burger bowl and say goodbye to the bun all together. We find burger bowls are much easier to eat then lettuce wrapped burgers! Arugula is our favorite green for a the base of a burger bowl because it holds up well with the other toppings, of course chopped red leaf and romaine are also wonderful.
• With burger bowls your bowl can literally be overflowing with veggies so make sure to include a variety of vegetables including more then just the standard tomatoes, avocados and onions. Mix it up with micro greens, saurkraut, pickled red onions + cucumbers, and sprouts.
2. Make sweet potato boats on the grill instead of fries!
• Sweet potatoes are abundant in antioxidants, beta carotene, and vitamin C.
• When grilling sweet potatoes you will want to partially cook by boiling before for about 10 minutes, the potatoes will take about 7-8 minutes on the grill thereafter. Before grilling, cut into wedges and make sure they are well coated with coconut or avocado oil and high quality salt.
3. Stick to fruit for dessert and grill it!
• Fresh peaches are in season and they are perfect on the grill.
• Cut in half and remove the pit. Then lightly paint on coconut oil (you can do this with a paper towel). Grill cut side down on medium heat for 4-5 min. Should have grill marks and be hot + juicy when done.
• Drizzle with honey and serve with homemade whipped cream. With a high powered mixer, mix on high full fat whipping cream with a little maple syrup + vanilla to taste until cream is whipped and the perfect consistency.
4. Swap out the sugary drinks and make a yummy hibiscus iced tea.
• Its a beautiful red color and you can play it up by adding fresh mint and lemon slices to the pitcher.
• If you like it sweet we recommend adding stevia for a natural sugar free alternative.
• We also love Drink Sound zero sugar sparkling beverages if your looking for a premed option. Use the code happyhealthylittles for 20% off your first order!
5. Choose your condiments wisely.
• Condiments can make what would have been a perfectly healthy meal unhealthy as they are often loaded with highly processed oils and cane syrup.
• Ideally look for condiments that stick with oils like olive and avocado oil.
• When in doubt go with Primal Kitchen for all your condiment needs. They use avocado oil as the base in there dressings and marinades, there is never any added sugar, and the condiments are made with real food ingredients like eggs, quality spices, coconut aminos, and apple cider vinegar.
6. Opt for better meat!
• Do you know grass-fed meat contains more vitamins, minerals + omega 3s then conventional feed-lot meat? So meat that is organic, pasture-raised and 100% grass-fed not only tastes the best, but makes you feel the best and of course is the best for the animals too!
• When regenerative farming principles are put into play like at Belcampo, meat actually has a climate-positive impact! So you absolutely can enjoy your beef while considering yourself an a planet lover :)
• Belcampo is our favorite online place to buy meat, the quality and care is the best of the best and you will truly notice a difference. Use the code happyhealthylittles for 10% off your first order!
Let us know your best tips for BBQing, friends share with friends ;) and make sure to post a pic on instagram with #hhlbellybowl of your next burger bowl creation!
Xo Dani and Whit